The family of a MI man is suing Rite Aid for the wrongful death of John Sheridan, alleging prescription malpractice contributed to his premature death.
Sheridan, who had malignant melanoma that had spread to his brain, was prescribed a lethal dose of a chemotherapy drug Temodar. The prescription instructed him to take 14 capsules daily, approximately ten times the normal dose and nearly double that which would be considered fatal. Sheridan did as instructed and took the medication, which actually caused his cancer to grow rapidly.
The prescription malpractice lawsuit claims that the overdose was a contributing factor to Sheridan’s early death at age 52. His wife hopes the legal action she is taking will result in changes in pharmacy policy so this never happens to anyone else.
The doctor who wrote the incorrect prescription admitted fault and has settled with the family. Katherine Sheridan is pursuing the pharmacy now, because she feels the error should have been caught before the prescription was ever filled and distributed to her husband.
Prescription malpractice is one of the most dangerous forms of negligence. Patients who take the wrong drug, or too much of a medication can suffer further illness or even death, as in this case. If you have been the victim of this type of medical malpractice, you should contact a medical attorney immediately to find out what your rights are.